Sunday, October 4, 2009

Hunting

Some people think it's all about the kill, going out and tracking an animal, finding, shooting and bringing home the meat. For me, I go out because I just want to get away from all the stresses and hassles of school, work, chores, wrestling, everything. When I am out in the woods, it's almost like time just stands still. The birds are flying aimlessly around over head. The squirrels chase each other from tree to tree. Then I realize how great of a world this is. How many wonders are out there that people don't take the time to see. I forget about everything back home and just relax. I look around and just wonder how people can say there isn't a God. I don't know how this could have been created without him.
I find that sitting in the woods, with the quiet all around, soaking in the environment and absorbing the sights and sounds is all I need. I really enjoy going with my Dad who sits quietly at his own place just over the next hill, or around the bend, close, but not close enough to talk. We often sit for hours in the cold and the rain or snow, with our hand warmers and the quiet. When we do get a little cold, we meet in the truck and have some coffee and sandwiches. Always something simple yet perfect.
Sometimes we walk quietly, stepping carefully over the brush and around the plant life so not to disturb any animals. When we do see a deer, either a buck or a doe, the excitement just explodes inside your chest. Even if the animal is too far away or if it is running past, your heart races with excitement of seeing such a beautiful animal and the anticipation of sharing your simple story with friends.
Everytime I leave the woods I leave with a new perspective.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you finished up your blog entry with how you have a new perspective, but I think you should go more into how it changes you. How is your perspective different from before you went out to hunt?
    Just remember to check for grammar errors before posting. You do a good job of picking many different topics each week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was inspireing. I wish I could find a place where I could relax and soak up the environment. This tied into your topic and you did a good job at it. How long have you been hunting? Do you hunt all year long?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this piece you wrote because you describe things so well i feel like I'm actually there. That would be so exciting to see a animal right there in front of you in the wild. Goodjob jim.

    ReplyDelete