Sunday, September 27, 2009

What Really Grinds My Gears

You know what really grinds my gears? The news, all you here about is the bad and not enough on the good. There are so many great people doing outstanding things every day. I started looking on CNN for a good story to talk about, but almost gave up because I couldn't find one. Finally I came across this video on how a family's house was flooded all the way up to their ceiling. Their cars, the house, everything was ruined. Then when they least expected it, a group of volunteers arrived to give a helping hand. The group is called Samaritan's Purse. They go all over the world giving a helpful hand to the poor, sick, and suffering.

I am inspired after learning about this group, and all of the lives they have changed. Then I ask myself, how in the hell did Roman Polanski make it on the front page of cnn.com. His story was how he is being arrested now for having sex with a 13 year old in 1977.

How are we supposed to feel good about all the blessings around world if we never here about them. The news should promote groups like Samaritan's Purse, so we can be grateful for those making this great world of ours a better place to live.

10 comments:

  1. i agree there is to much bad stuff on the tv and not many good things we need to show more good things. I like how you put in a good story so that people know that good people are out there.Also that not all news is bad news

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about how the news don't talk about positive things going on in the world. I used to watch news and everytime at the end they had a happy story. My problem with news is that they give way to much importance to famous peoples' issues. I just need to hear more positive stories about people who are making a positive change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dislike the news also! They say all these bad stories and give a brief 10 second clip of something good happening. You did a good job on this post! I like how you put not only one link, but 3! Extra effort by Jim! The Samaritan's Purse sounds like an awesome group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more, all forms of media focus on the bad. I believe it is just human nature. Even back in the Roman times, people would flood to the colosseums and watch people be brutally murdered. We like to think of our selves as purely good people, but when it comes down to it, we have a fascination with watching bad things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyle, what an interesting connection! Why are we fascinated with it? Does it make us feel lucky? Relieved it wasn't us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you on this blog. Why is it always the negative that the media talk about why cant they talk about the positive in the world. Where are the Semaritan's Purse from? Howd they get started? Liked the links Jim really helps with the blog and how to understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make a very good point on why our good deeds as americans do not show up in the media but all of the negatives do. Do you think if we all became good volunteers the media coverage on volunteering change? I think it would.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim, are you sure you wrote this? It seems so professional. When you first told me you were choosing this topic for your blog, I was skeptical. But you're really doing well. I think the media uses the bad things in the world because our society is interested in comparing others' lives to their own. By seeing all the negatives in the world, they tell themselves that they are leading a good life and are otherall good people. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not. I do agree with you that more positive news should be in the media, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you're looking for some more positive news stories, ABC news has a "Person of the Week" feature on Fridays at the end of their broadcast. NBC news typically ends their programs with their "Making a Difference" feature.

    ReplyDelete